Coughs are usually an indication of something that is not okay in your body. It is not always, but coughs could mean that you have begun to suffer from a strong aversion to certain substances, common cold, or various other illnesses. A cough can also be triggered by other things such as smoke or materials that irritate abruptly. Throat and all its neighboring muscles often experience some pain as a result of constant and unrelenting coughs. Significance to note is the fact that these kinds of coughs shall certainly need attention from a health care giver. Besides visiting a health care provider for observation and treatment, there are certain essential oils for cough that can mitigate the pain while at the same time providing a remedy for a constant cough.
BENEFITS OF ESSENTIAL OILS FOR COUGH
Regarding essential oils for cough and congestion that can be used to treat a cough, there is a wide variety of oils which you can choose from. Below is a small listing of the essential oils that you can make use of:-
- Eucalyptus Oil: It has properties that enable it to bring down any swelling that is present in the respiratory system while at the same time lessening the mucus in the lungs.
- Rosemary Oil: Able to effectively deal with bronchitis and asthma and many other respiratory diseases.
- Cyprus Oil: Hinders the amassing of every kind of liquid inside the lungs
- Lemon Citrus: It is an effective remedy for throat infections.
- Cedar Wood: Lessens the mucus in the lungs besides providing relief for respiratory muscles.
- Peppermint Oil: offers an efficient remedy for coughs that by nature are dry.
- Tea Tree Oil: Provides treatment for the core infections and does away with congestion caused by bronchitis.
- Jojoba Oil: works well when it is used together with other essential oils because of its anti–swelling properties that it has.
- Myrrh: Prevents mucus from amassing inside the lungs.
- Sandalwood: Provides relief for lung muscles and acts as an effective remedy for infections that happen in the higher respiratory structure.
- Angelica: Able to drive out phlegm from the lungs because of the expectorant qualities that it has.
- Lavender Oil: Contains properties that give it the ability to provide a remedy for respiratory region illnesses.
- Rose Oil: Acts as a remedy for coughs that are caused by asthma and certain specific allergies.
- Cajeput: Battles with infections affecting the respiratory structure.
- Frankincense Oil: Decongests the lungs while at the same time controlling breathing.
- Black Pepper: Creates ease in respiratory pathways.
- Thyme Oil: Effectively battles with infections which if not addressed properly result in severe coughs and colds assisting in the removal of any clogging. It is also an expectorant and is capable of dealing with bacteria successfully.
EFFECTIVE METHODS OF USING ESSENTIAL OIL AS REMEDIES FOR A COUGH
Although there is a wide variety of essential oils that can be valuable remedies for coughs and its accompanying signs, ignorance on how to use them properly can lead to them becoming ineffective.
1. CRAFTING YOUR OWN BALM
You can generate your own lotion by mixing eight drops of eucalyptus, two drops of thyme oil, one tablespoon of coconut oil that is not refined and five drops of lavender oil. One teaspoon of the mixture should then be applied on your chest before sleeping time. This balm acts as a remedy for chests that are congested and coughs too. The lotion also aids proper breathing and allows you also to sleep without any disturbances by the coughs. All the ingredients of this balm contain unique properties that make one of the most efficient remedies for combating coughs and other respiratory conditions.
2. COMBINE ESSENTIAL OILS TOGETHER WITH A DIFFUSER
Combining some drops of the essential oils into a diffuser is well able to provide an excellent remedy for every sign of a cough. When coupled with a diffuser there is a splitting of the essential oils into small particles that easily diffuse in the air. The use of the best diffuser leads to an efficient way of treating coughs and their accompanying signs. The essential oils for cough and cold bring about the excellent air that is an important part of the efficient treatment of coughs. The use of the best diffuser allows molecules to linger in the air for an extended period of time thus battling coughs and several other respiratory infections. The fact that the best diffuser provides for the best results can never be over emphasized.
3. LOZENGES AS REMEDY FOR A COUGH
Lozenges that contain essential oils can be an excellent remedy for coughs. The lozenge should be chewed in such a way that the fluid being produced as a result of the chewing conveniently drops behind the throat so as to provide the much-needed remedy.
4. WASHING OR RINSING YOUR THROAT WITH SALT
A throat that is sore is a symptom of a cold. Warm water that is mixed with salt is a valuable remedy for a sore throat. To make the solution more lethal as a weapon for combating a sore throat ravensara and tea tree can be added to the salt solution and then mixed strongly. To rinse the throat, it should put in the mouth for a few seconds allowed to touch the throat, and it should then spit out. The success of this remedy depends on the fact that it should be done after every four hours. White Thyme oil is an excellent alternative for ravensara; however it should not be more than one drop.
5. TISSUE AID AS A REMEDY FOR CONGESTION
A combination of small amounts of eucalyptus and lavender measured using drops and then put on tissues that are the size of a purse can be an instant and efficient remedy for congestion. For a blocked nose the tissue should be held onto the blocked nose for a while, and the essential oils shall certainly be able to unblock the nose.
6. TAKING A HOT BATH, THAT IS MIXED WITH THE ESSENTIAL OILS
Putting essential oils for cough in a hot bath is another option of making use of necessary oils to provide a remedy for either coughs or colds. A combination of white thyme oil and tea tree oil in the ratio of 6 to 2 can be put into your hot bath. It is, however, important to note that too much of white thyme oil can cause itchiness on the skin. Going beyond eight drops of essential oils for a hot bath is not recommended.
7. THE USE OF MASSAGE OIL
Massage oil that is prepared using essential oils meant for a cough can also be used in making oil that can provide relief for congested chests. The oil is a mixture of four essential oils namely jojoba, thyme, eucalyptus, and pine. The massage oil that is a product of the mixture mentioned above is then used to massage the chest and the back.
IS ESSENTIAL OIL SAFE FOR CHILDREN?
There is no harm in children using essential oils for cough. It is, however, significant to mention that for children only natural essential oils are recommended. Seeking counsel from a healthcare provider is a prudent thing to do if you are not sure about certain specific essential oils. For children with coughs or respiratory infections, it is important to use essential oils up to the time when what they suffering from is cleared completely.